LSKC has a range of social activity, be it chatting during club trips (we don’t often paddle hard enough to be out of breath), to weekends away, and evenings in the pub. Most day trips end in either in a coffee shop, or an ice cream parlour where we can swap war stories. This page highlights our regular social events:
We host a BBQ/picnic at one of the local beaches during the summer, normally preceded by a short paddle. With any luck it’s sunny!
The AGM (we keep the official business as short as possible, then have food, drink and entertainment – most recently a presentation of a trip to Greenland).
Winter talks covering a range of subjects at the Dalriada pub in Portobello. Subjects have ranged from tides to wildlife identification, to history of the islands of the Forth.
We run weekend events away, which have been based in both hostel and hotel accomodation, most recently in Oban YHA, where we hosted a Ceilidh to celebrate the clubs 30th birthday.
We also occasionally host talks from visiting paddlers, which we have used to raise money for various charities. For example:
- Olly Hicks spoke about his expedition from Greenland to Scotland
- Tara Mulvaney spoke about the first circumnavigation of Svarlbard
- Patrick Winterton spoke about his crossing from Scotland to Norway
- Freya Hoffmeister spoke about her circumnavigation of South America
- Sarah McNair Landry and Eric Boomer spoke about their expedition across the Greenland Ice Cap, and river descent from the ice cap